Follow these steps to enable a central location for your organization’s GPO’s.
Create a folder called “PolicyDefinitions” at
Copy everything from
C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitionsto that location.
Install ADMX templates to that location – copy all .admx to that locations root, copy your language *.adml to that location under the correct folder (for example en-us)
Now if you look at a GPO’s settings you should see Policy definitions (ADMX files) retrieved from the central store.
Someone on /r/sysadmin was saying something about an error they were having so I’m just copying/pasting the fix here:
Error: resource '$(string.Win7Only)';…
- Fix: I had the same problem.
- I don’t see a new SearchOCR.admx file in the new 1803 templates and the version in my PolicyDefinitions was from 2010.
- Found this post from someone who solved it.
- Basically I downloaded the 1511 templates, extracted and just copied the SearchOCR.admx to the sysvol PolicyDefinitions root.
- However this alone didn’t fix it for me.
- Then I looked at the 1803 version SearchOCR.adml located in en-US folder, compared it with the 1511 version and noticed it was missing a line underneath of
- I added this underneath it and saved it:
<string id='Win7Only'>Microsoft Windows 7 or later</string>