So I ordered a PI 3 off Amazon the other day and wanted to document how I set it up:
Setup the OS on the SD Card:
- Download Raspian zip file from raspberrypi.org
- Download Etcher and install it.
- Connect an SD card reader with the SD card inside.
- Open Etcher and select from your hard drive the Raspberry Pi .img or .zip file you wish to write to the SD card.
- Select the SD card you wish to write your image to.
- Review your selections and click “Flash!” to begin writing data to the SD card.
Put together the pi
Plug everything in with power being last
Sign in with pi/raspberry and then type “startx” NOTE: I didn’t have to do this as it booted straight to the desktop.
The first thing we needed to do was set the root password:
sudo passwd root (EnterPassword)
Next, needed to change the keyboard layout to English => US:
localectl set-keymap us sudo reboot
Next, we needed the Pi to open a webpage and turn off all settings that let it go to sleep:
1 2 3 4 5 6
#edit and save the following file sudo vi ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart @xset s 0 0 @xset s noblank @xset s noexpose @xset dpms 0 0 0
Reboot and test!